Research Synopsis: our group combines biophysical chemistry, molecular biology, and microscopy techniques to tackle interesting questions involving the coupling of physics to biochemistry in cell membranes and membrane proteins.
The Shi lab focuses on developing new microscopy and photochemistry techniques, as well as theoretical models to study membrane related processes at the cellular scale. We aim to understand the mechanisms of mechanosensation at the cell membrane and study how membrane mechanics interact with downstream biochemical signaling pathways. We will also investigate the roles of neuronal membranes in mediating neurological diseases and utilize our understanding of cell membrane mechanics to design efficient and controllable drug delivery strategies. Interested students are encouraged to email Zheng to learn more!
- Cohen, AE, Shi Z. Do Cell Membranes Flow Like Honey or Jiggle Like Jello?. BioEssays. 2019.
- Shi Z, … Cohen AE. Cell membranes resist flow. Cell. 175(7), 1769-1779. 2018
- Graber ZT, Shi Z, Baumgart T. Cations induce shape remodeling of negatively charged phospholipid membranes. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 19(23), 15285-15295. 2017.
- Luo Q, Shi Z, … Chenoweth DM, Park SJ. DNA Island Formation on Binary. Block Copolymer Vesicles. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 138(32), 10157–10162. 2016.
- Chen Z, Shi Z, Baumgart T. Regulation of Membrane-Shape Transitions Induced by I-BAR Domains. Biophysical Journal. 109(2), 298-307. 2015.
- Shi Z, ... Baumgart T. Biophysics of α-synuclein induced membrane remodelling. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 17(24), 15561-15568. 2015
- Shi Z, Baumgart T. Membrane tension and peripheral protein density mediate membrane shape transitions. Nature Communications. 6, 5974. 2015.
- Wu T, Shi Z, Baumgart T. Mutations in BIN1 associated with Central Nuclear Myopathy disrupt membrane remodeling by affecting protein density and oligomerization. PLoS ONE. 9(4), e93060. 2014.
- Shi Z, Baumgart T. Dynamics and instabilities of lipid bilayer membrane shapes. Adv. Colloid Interface Sci. 208,76-88. 2014.
- Cavallaro M, Gharbi MA, Beller DA, Copar S, Shi Z, ... Stebe KJ. Exploiting imperfections in the bulk to direct assembly of surface colloids. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 110(47), 18804-18808. 2013.
- Cavallaro M, Gharbi MA, Beller DA, Copar S, Shi Z, … Baumgart T, Stebe KJ. Ring around the colloid. Soft Matter. 9(38), 9099-9102. 2013.
- Capraro BR*, Shi Z*, … Baumgart T. Kinetics of endophilin N-BAR domain dimerization and membrane interactions. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 288(18), 12533-12543. 2013.