Transfer Credit

C or better:

Some students have taken chemistry courses at other institutions for which they would like to receive credit here. Detailed regulations may vary by college, but in general, the first requirement is that the student has gotten a course letter grade of C or better in the course to be transferred.

Determination of course equivalence


Transfer of credit is a two-step process. The Chemistry Department must:

  1. determine that the course in question is equivalent to a course that we offer (see below) and
  2. ‘sign off/on a standard transfer-of-credit form from the student’s college. An advisor in the Dean’s Office of the student’s college can supply this form. Some colleges put the form online - e.g.,

    The student should obtain a copy of the form, fill it out, and submit it to the Undergraduate Chemistry Program Coordinator, Ms. Ola Elshorafa (123 Bevier Road, CCB Building, Busch Campus). Other information may be required, however so please read on.

Determination of equivalence:

1: Transfer of credit for course on “approved list”: The chemistry course that the student has taken or wishes to take may be on an approved list. In this case, the transfer of credit is usually straightforward. The student should fill out a ‘transfer of credit’ form and bring or send the form to the Undergraduate Office in room 1108A in the Chemistry and Chemical Biology (CCB) building on the Busch campus.

2: Transfer of credit for a course not on the approved list: Some students have taken or wish to take a course that is not on the approved list. Each such course requires a separate evaluation. To make the evaluation we will need the following information:

  • Your name, RUID, and an e-mail address at which we can reach you if we need more information
  • Name of college/university at which the course was taken
  • Catalog number and title of the course
  • Date when course was taken
  • A syllabus (list of topics or chapters in a textbook) for the course for the year or, preferably, the semester when the course was taken
  • An indication, possibly from the syllabus or the college catalog, of the intended audience for the course (e.g., general chemistry science majors: organic chemistry for nursing students; non-science majors)
  • The textbook (title, edition, authors)
  • The total number of hours of lecture (e.g., 14 weeks x 2.6 hours/week = 36.4 hours)
  • The total number of hours of recitation
  • The total number of hours of laboratory

Once this information is assembled, the student should bring or send it along with a transfer of credit form to the Undergraduate Office in room 1108A in the Chemistry and Chemical Biology (CCB) building on the Busch campus. When we receive the information we need, we will ask a faculty member who is expert in the area to evaluate it. We will let you know the decision as soon as possible.